Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Killing Two Birds with One Stone {Bo Bunny ~ Wild Card Collection}


So two of my pet peeves, boxes lying around from appliance and entertainment purchases, and messy junk drawers!  Every time we buy a cell phone, DVD, microwave or any other electronics, my DH won't let me throw the packaging away.  He says you have to keep the box in case there is something wrong with the item down the road.  So now I have all these old cell phone boxes piling up along with other boxes.  The other thing I don't love is my junk drawer.  My hubby and kids love to play cards, but then they all get thrown into a junk drawer all willy nilly.  I finally decided I would make a nice decorative box to keep the decks of cards in and went on a hunt for a good box to alter.  


Ha!  my DH's penchant for saving boxes paid off!  I found this cell phone box and it was a perfect fit for decks of cards! (shhhh, don't tell him I used one, he'll never miss it! :)


It was actually pretty easy to put it together!  I used a 6x6 paper pad from Bo Bunny called 'Wild Card', I thought the wood grain design on one of the papers would give a nice elegant look to the box design. I cut out strips to fit along all the sides and top....all in all it took less than 2 6x6 papers.  I think the thing that might have taken the longest was adding the machine stitching to the edges of the cut papers (not a necessity but I thought it would add a nice touch)..


The next step was as easy as plucking off a few chipboard elements from the Wild Card collection and adding them to the box cover.....that's it!  All done! And now I have a pretty (or handsome ) place to keep the playing cards....and now I have 1 box down....and a hundred to go! :)

7 comments:

Deb Hardy said...

Hi Gabrielle...your card box is perfect. Love the colors and gender neutral vibe. Your husband will appreciate having the playing cards organized in one fabulous spot. Thanks for the idea!

Liz's creative corner said...

Awesome hun, fab detail, great use of the box, will have to remember to look around for old boxes here to as my hubby always keeps things like that to lol, hugs Liz xx

Tone-Lill said...

A fab idea what to do with those ever so piled up boxes. I'm sure he won't miss it lol ;) The finished box looks super cool, perfect for it's new purpose :)

AngelkissesbyLinda said...

What a great idea, you are so cleaver.

Asmah Zainal Abidin said...

Loving your decorated box; fabulous upcycle. I believe your husband appreciates your creativity! My husband keeps everything even the letters and booklet of his ex-car he sold 10 yrs ago! With new owner I don't find them vital but he insist that no one would know down the road; huh??

Rebecca Bradshaw said...

Fantastic, a brilliant masculine creation and such a good way to use the box!
Rebecca.

Unknown said...

That card box is an ingenious idea! I love the masculine design you created. Thank you for the inspiration:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails